Many of you own or know someone who owns an Elf on a Shelf. I've laughed hysterically at some of the pictures and facebook posts of my friends' elves' antics, such as making snow angels in spilled flour, zip-lining across the living room from the fireplace to the tree, drawing pictures on all the family photos with dry-erase markers....you get the point. Our elf wasn't quite so creative, but Luke enjoyed her anyway. YES, you read that correctly. Our elf is a female. Luke declared that SHE was named Fluffy the day she arrived. Fluffy sometimes forgot to move from place to place, but when she did move, Luke was always amused to see where she landed. We've had some pretty grown-up conversations lately about God, Jesus, Santa, church, heaven, and angels. Luke is getting to the age where he's trying to make sense of it all, and Fluffy took notice. This was the letter she wrote the boys before she left to go back to the north pole for Christmas Eve.
Dear Luke and Clay,
I have had such a good time watching the two of you over the past month. You are both very good little boys and Santa has been very happy with my reports.
Luke, you are such a good brother to Clay. I have seen how patient you are with him and how much you try to make him happy. Not all big brothers are as nice to their little brothers as you are. I know it must make your mommy and daddy very happy to watch you teach Clay how to do the things you like to do. I’ve really enjoyed watching you play the Wii and build with your Legos.
Clay, I’ve never been to a birthday party before! I wish I would have been able to eat some pancakes, but then I would have gotten syrup all over my outfit. I’m like you and I don’t like it when I get syrup on my hands. You have the best laugh and I can tell that your Bubba is your best friend. (Try not to hit Petey. He’s an old dog and just wants to protect you.) Way to go on the potty training, dude!
By the time you read this I’ll be back at the North Pole getting ready for Christmas Eve. I had a great time in your house listening to you all talk. The conversation I overheard that made me the most proud was when Luke immediately knew that Santa, me and the other elves are just a little part of Christmas. The true reason for our preparations, celebrations, excitement, gifts, and joy is that Jesus was born!! Always remember that Jesus was God’s greatest gift to you. If you keep that in your heart, you will be able to share the gift of God’s love all year long.
Merry Christmas!!!
Fluffy
We had a wonderful Christmas and truly enjoyed the fact that it was just the four of us. The year Luke was born we made the decision that Christmas was going to be just for our family from then on. Since then we've enjoyed our own family traditions and made memories that will last a lifetime.
One of our favorite things to do is to prepare Santa's snack for Christmas Eve. This year Luke wanted to make blueberry muffins. You know, because they're healthier than all the other junk food Santa would get. Um, ok. Blueberry muffins it is. Good thing Santa knew that there was some chocolate bourbon pecan pie in the fridge. Anyway, I digress....

Here we are making our muffins.

Too bad he has no personality.

This was his first time to use the muffin scoop. He declared it was going to make his muscles BIG!!!
After all the preparations were complete we got ready for church. It isn't often that I get dressed up, but when I do, Luke always takes notice. When I came downstairs he was speechless. I said, "Luke, does Mommy look ok?" He said, "Mommy, you're so pretty tonight." Love that kid. I was singing for four services, so we got in two cars and headed to church. I sang "O Holy Night" for the 5:00 service. I loved that my family was able to be there, but I also enjoyed seeing many of my little ones from my preschool class in the congregation. They were also impressed that Ms. Amy was so dressed up. One of them even commented on the fact that I had a mouth. I guess I don't wear lipstick much at preschool. HA!
When I sang, it was difficult to look at Luke for fear that I would choke up, but when I did, his eyes were as big as platters. At one point he leaned over to Trent and said, "Mommy's loud!" Um, I guess that was his way of saying I project? Anyway, when I sat down, he said, "Good job, Mommy" and held my hand.
A week before Christmas Luke asked me why I always cry on Christmas Eve. I told him that I don't cry because I'm sad. I cry because my heart is so full of love and joy that it overflows out of my eyes. His response was, "That's a lot of love and joy, Mom." Yes, it is. And here's an example.
When "Silent Night" began and all the candles were being lit, Luke got very excited. This was the first Christmas Eve that he's been in the traditional candlelight service. When all the candles had been lit, Trent told him to turn around and look. His face was priceless. Experiencing Christmas through the eyes of a child will never get old. Thank you, Lord, for allowing me these moments.

Here we are just before the service.
I got home after the boys were nestled all snug in their beds and visions of sugar plums were dancing in their heads...
Santa got to work.

For Clay it was the year of Disney. Rock and Roll Mickey, The Lion King, and Woody from Toy Story were his gifts from Santa. For Luke it was all about Star Wars. A Wii Game, some Star Wars Legos, and a football were his Santa gifts. He also got some books in his stocking. My smart boy is reading chapter books!

"COOL!"

"Woody with a brown hat!!"
The boys got some wonderful gifts from our families. Luke was thrilled to receive so many Star Wars Lego kits, all four Home Alone movies, and the latest Diary of a Wimpy Kid book. Clay got not just one, but two different tricycles, both of which he loves, a Buzz Lightyear talking figure, a basketball goal, and an easel, but I'm pretty sure his favorite gift came from Grandma...

What a rock star!
There were two moments in the day that especially stood out. The first one was after we'd finished opening all of our presents. Luke said, "All this stuff is awesome, but my favorite gifts are you guys." Trent and I were speechless. Later that day while we were eating dinner (I made my first ever prime rib and it was delicious!) I asked Luke what his favorite thing about Christmas Day had been. I expected him to say something about the football, the Wii games or the Legos, but once again he left us speechless when he said, "My favorite thing about Christmas Day was spending time together."
Sometimes we get lost in the hustle and bustle of the season. There's nothing like the perspective of a very smart 6 year old to remind you what it's all about.

And let's not forget the most wonderful puppy dog in the world.
Merry Christmas to all...and to all a good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment